20-first Gender Balance Scorecard Reports
Where the World's Top Companies Stand
20-first publishes its cornerstone Global Gender Balance Scorecard report annually, in addition to a series of country and industry focused reports. These scorecard reports look at a single measure of progress: the gender balance of the Executive Committee of top companies around the world.
Why Focus on Executive Committees?
Whereas much attention has been paid to the gender balance of Boards, we argue that the Executive Committee is a much better indicator of corporate progress in managing and developing talent in a truly meritocratic and gender “bilingual” way.
For more information or to speak to the 20-first Research Team:
tel: +33 1 39 21 08 49
Fourth Annual Global Gender Balance Scorecard
Gender Balance of Executive Committee of TOP 100 Companies in three key regions
- In this 4th annual survey, the 20-first Global Gender Balance Scorecard looks at the gender balance of the Executive Committee of the TOP 100 companies in three key regions of the globe.
- Today the US and Europe are almost at par in getting women on Boards. 78% of companies in the US have at least two women on their Board; 75% of European companies do. However, the picture looks quite different when it comes to the Executive Committee numbers in these two regions. A clear majority of US companies have at least two women on their Executive
Committee, with 55%. Europe is far behind with only 25%.
- Turning to Asia, the region continues to lag behind. Only 16% of companies have at least two women on their Board and a mere 8% of
companies have at least two women on their Executive Committee. Despite a tradition of women in management in many countries in the region, the largest Asian companies are still struggling to many in top positions.
- Globally, 90% of Executive Committee positions in our survey sample are filled by men, with only 10% by women.
- Our 2013 Global Gender Balance Scorecard evaluates where companies are in balancing their Executive Committees. The scorecard segments companies into one of 6 categories: Asleep, Token, Starting Smart, Progressing, Critical Mass,and Balanced.
- The full report below describes what the top companies have achieved to date on their gender balance journey.